Error code: 127
Patuxent County was established in 1654 by an Order in Council. In 1658 the county was renamed Calvert County.
- Anne Arundel County (north)
- Charles County (west)
- Prince George's County (northwest)
- St. Mary's County (south)
Cities and towns
Calvert County includes two municipalities, both classified as towns under Maryland law:
Unincorporated areas are also considered as towns by many people and listed in many collections of towns, but they lack local government. Various organizations, such as the United States Census Bureau, the United States Postal Service, and local chambers of commerce, define the communities they wish to recognize differently, and since they are not incorporated, their boundaries have no official status outside the organizations in question. The Census Bureau recognizes the following census-designated places in the county:
- Calvert Beach-Long Beach (a combination of the communities of Calvert Beach and Long Beach recognized as a unit by many people)
- Chesapeake Ranch Estates-Drum Point (a combination of the communities of Chesapeake Ranch Estates and Drum Point recognized as a unit by the Census Bureau)
- Prince Frederick
- St. Leonard
The delegates which represent Calvert County are:
- District 27A: James E. Proctor, Jr. (D) and Joseph F. Vallario, Jr. (D)
- District 27B: Sue Kullen (D)
- District 29C: Anthony J. O'Donnell (R)
Maryland is represented in the United States Senate by Barbara A. Mikulski (D) and Benjamin L. Cardin (D). Southern Maryland falls within the 5th Congressional District which is represented by Steny Hoyer (D). Hoyer also serves as the House Majority Leader, second in command to the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi (D) of California.
See Category:Calvert County Public Schools and Category:Calvert County Private Schools for a complete list of schools K-12. Calvert also houses the Calvert County Branch of the College of Southern Maryland.
Police, Fire, & Emergency
Calvert County is served by the Calvert County Sheriff's Office and the Maryland State Police, Prince Frederick Barrack. See Category:Calvert County Fire Departments for a list of all fire departments and rescue organizations.
Parks & Recreation
For a list of all churches, see http://somd.com/worship/.
Historic Sites & Churches
For all historic sites in southern Maryland, see Category:Historic Sites.