Waldorf is an unincorporated community in Charles County, Maryland. As of the 2000 census, the CDP had a total population of 22,312. Waldorf was formerly the site of a train station near the middle of old town Waldorf. Waldorf is now largely subsumed by the large community of St. Charles.
Waldorf is either named after the town of Waldorf, Germany, or has a similar derivation: that is, either a German word meaning "forest village," or named after the Waldenses, a 12th Century religious sect. It came to prominence in the 1950's as a gambling destination after slot machines were legalized in Charles County in 1949. The boom lasted until 1968 when gambling was once again outlawed. Its subsequent substantial growth as a residential community began with a 1970 loan package from the Department of Housing and Urban Development which fueled the community of St. Charles, south of Waldorf's town center.
Waldorf is located at 38°38'46" North, 76°53'54" West (38.646173, -76.898217).
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="38.620358" lon="-76.91391" scale="yes" overview="yes"></googlemap>
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 33.1 km² (12.8 mi²). 33.1 km² (12.8 mi²) of it is land and none of it is covered by water.