St. Mary's Hospital
A not-for-profit hospital located in Leonardtown, Maryland. The only hospital located in St. Mary's County, Maryland. The St. Mary's Hospital Foundation raises funds for the hospital and hospital-sponsored health care scholarships.
In 1912, seven men, guided by Dr. Francis Greenwell, came together in St. Mary's County to officially incorporate the institution of St. Mary's Hospital. That first hospital building was located in a private home on Fenwick Street, not far from the Town Square. It had six patient beds on the second floor. Patients were transported by steamer to Baltimore if they required surgery. As time passed, visiting surgeons came to the hospital weekly to provide surgical services. This same building still stands today, now housing a law firm.
In 1915, a new hospital was built on Point Lookout Road, not far from the intersection of Leonardtown-Hollywood Road. This structure served the community for years with one expansion in 1931. A new 32-bed hospital opened in 1944 due to the increased population with the development of the Naval base at Patuxent River. Five different building programs were undertaken during the following 50 years to keep pace with new technology and changes in population, including the addition of an East Wing in 1956 and a Peabody Wing a decade later. A Critical Care Unit was added in 1973, while Emergency, Pharmacy and Radiology were expanded and renovated in 1975.
By 1980, the hospital was up to a bed capacity of 86, but planning had already begun for a larger, more modern facility. In October 1982, construction of the present hospital started on a 31-acre site, several blocks north of the facility on Point Lookout Road. The present facility was opened on April 7, 1984. The hospital was expanded in July 1995 to improve outpatient services. Other parts of the facility, including the second floor patient and nursing station areas, were also renovated.
The hospital completed a major expansion project in 2002.
- Christine R. Wray, President and CEO
Board of Directors
- Linda Dudderar, Vice Chairwoman